How Long Do Garage Door Openers Last?
Your garage door keeps your property safe. From vehicles and equipment to entry to your home, your garage protects you from the elements and intruders. That’s why a reliable garage door opener is critical.
If your opener doesn’t function properly or malfunctions intermittently, it may be time to consider a replacement.
The Average Life Span of a Garage Door Opener
There are five different types of garage door openers on the market:
- Chain drive
- Belt drive
- Direct drive
- Screw drive
- Side mount
While belt drive, direct drive, and side mounts offer some of the longer life spans, the average for all types is about 15 to 20 years with the right care and maintenance.
What Affects the Life Span of a Garage Door Opener?
Determining a garage door opener’s life span depends on many different conditions. Certain factors can dramatically shorten the life span of your garage door opener or help extend it.
Factors that determine a garage door opener’s life span include:
- Frequency of use: While garage door openers are meant to be used daily, the springs will wear down increasingly with each use.
- Quality of the door: High-quality doors with high-cycle springs and multi-layered builds can help extend your door opener’s life span.
- Weather: Things like debris, hail, and extreme temperatures can put more strain on your door and its opener.
- Routine maintenance: Annual tune-ups can allow small issues to be handled quickly before escalating to more major problems.
- Proper installation: If your door and opener aren’t installed correctly, it can create additional wear and tear.
When To Repair vs. Replace Your Opener
When deciding whether to repair or replace your garage door opener, it’s important to consider the benefits of a new one if your current one is old or needs frequent repairs.
Newer garage door opener models offer improved technology and benefits like quieter operation, improved security, and ultimate reliability.
If your garage door opener shows signs that it may need replacing, including unusual noises, random openings, or more, trust our professionals to evaluate and determine whether repairs or replacement would be best.
Schedule Garage Door Opener Repair or Replacement With Balanced Garage Doors
If your garage door opener needs repairs or replacements, trust the professionals at Balanced Garage Doors. We’re proud to offer Georgia residents five-star customer service from our highly trained expert technicians.
With same-day solutions, your garage and home won’t be left unprotected, and with quality parts and one-year warranties, we provide unmatched service and superior work.
We’ve Got You Covered
We Treat You Like Family
We repair all types of garage doors and keep stocked trucks to make repairs the same-day.
- Seasonal discounts and specials
- Extended-life garage replacement springs
- Great prices on the best brands
- Parts and labor warranties
- Options for all budgets